On Sep 20, 2010, at 8:10 AM, John Sessoms wrote:

From: "William Robb"
From: "John Sessoms"
Subject: Re: OT: Civil Rights Photographer Unmasked as Informer

> From: P N Stenquist
>> Frank. The guy with the most votes wins. Period. Sorry, but that's the
>> truth.
>
> Not always.
>
> Consider also why voter turnouts are so frequently low. There are other
> ways to rig an election besides stealing a ballot box.
>
> Every election in this and the last century was "decided" by a minority of > the eligible voters. The "majority" of a minority is still a minority.
>
> And it wasn't until late in the latter half of the 20th century until all > citizens were technically eligible voters. There's still hanky- panky with
> that even today.

I think this is happening somewhat more in your country than in mine,
although our last election had voter turnout appallingly low, but the system is becoming polarized around money, and we are seeing a political system by
the rich for the rich.
I offer up as evidence the apparent voter refusal around universal health care in your country, which apparently a majority of voters don't want, even
though a vast majority of citizens would benefit from.

William Robb

I wouldn't base an opinion of what a majority of voters in the U.S. want on what the mass media in the U.S. is saying. They're part of the self selected elites who shape perception to further their own financial and political agendas.

The vast majority in the U.S. want a Medicare like single payer system. A large majority in the U.S. would like to have a system like Canada has.

Although I would be in favor of a single-payer system, reliable research shows that the majority is not in favor of going to that kind of system. Most Americans have very good insurance paid for by their employer and don't want to change. The obvious downside to changing horses in midstream is the unemployment that would result. The insurance industry employs hundreds of thousand of people and supporting service companies employ many millions. You can't just take that apart all at once.

The problem is that a wealthy minority, in this case for profit insurance companies, oppose it and have the money to flood the media with disinformation aimed at protecting their profits.

They hijacked the debate and flooded the airwaves with outright lies to frighten the majority into believing that the proposed health care bill would be deny them the right to continue using the doctors they're already going to.

As evidence, I point out the "tea party" numb-nuts protesting the Federal Government "Keep your hands off my Social Security" ... they don't even know Social Security *IS* a federal program.

Nor do they understand that it's the financial and political elites who are really trying to end Social Security ... or at least loot it; doing the same to Social Security that they did to the pension system.