The production studio I worked with last year used 3200K balanced florescent tubes for everything. Didn't see a real tungsten light anywhere. The lights ran much cooler. I'm pretty sure that even small studio photographic lighting will be going that route eventually. I don't think it's the best idea, but it is what will happen.

On 10/2/2010 10:55 AM, John Sessoms wrote:
From: Thibouille
A friend of mine is  selling two studio lighting outfits. One is
Interfit tungsten continuous lighting, the other are non continuous
Falconeyes Flash system

Is there any good in this? I have nothing right now but would like to
get myself a little studio at home, it would help me progressing
faster than the only day I have a studio available (and in which I
need to do the job I'm asked to).
The Tungsten seemed (I could try both outfilts) to be difficult to
withstand because 3x 500W Tungsten are like hot summer after a couple
minutes. But that's just from using them a couple minutes. They are
rated 3200K but basicaly have no accessories.
He's asking 300 euros for the Tungsten kit (I may negotiate though).

The Falconeye set is 2x300W with wireless X-sync, honeycomb, snoot,
2xdiffusers and a couple other things. Seemed to work well enough
when I tried them. He aasking price is 400 euros (again, could be
negotiated).

Outside from those precise kits, I do not have yet an idea about pros
and cons of continuous vs. non-continuous lighting. I think most pro
studios would not work with continuous lighting but this is just
guess, I have no idea why.
I guess continuous eats way more electrons as well meaning my
electricity bill will would be higher than with non continuous ?
Maybe reusing old flashes would be better? But if accessories needed
(tripods, diffusers etc.) cost me about the same as one of those kits,
what's the point?

I'm clueless about lighting, really.
Thanks for all your suggestions....

I don't think there's a great deal of difference in the cost of the electricity to power them.

Generally, I think PEOPLE will be more comfortable under the strobes. Continuous tungsten light does have the heat factor.

What I'm seeing in school, where we are studying lighting, is that continuous lighting is used more for product lighting, although strobes work for that as well. The inverse does not appear to be true, continuous lighting does not work as well for people as strobes do.

Does the two light strobe kit include the light stands? If so, 400 euros doesn't sound outrageous. If it does not, the price is too high.

But that's just my opinion

--
"His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral
bankruptcy."