As you say, a warranty is a legal contract.  You can get from it what
you can under the law.  For example, many buildings come with
warranties of 25 years or so.  In practice, these warranties are only
good for the most major of problems since you inevitably have to sue
the builder to enforce the warranty.  "Legal" is what you can
practically get out of it.  The production of every item these days
has factored in the cost of legal issues.  If Pentax or any company
can get away with something, it will.  This may be cynical but I
trouble putting "corporate" and "ethical" together anymore and I deal
with them accordingly.

--
Steve Desjardins