/mild rant on\
There are many aspects of technology and finance in the trend during the past decade that influence how exciting or boring a new camera body from Pentax will be.

No manufacturer can introduce a model that is a show stopper, because the rapid advances in digital electronics and the firmware that runs them is progressing so fast that every 6 to 18 months, new "features" can be introduced that kills the market for the previous generation. Because the shelf time is so short for each model, and development so competitive, the quantities sold of each model is pretty small. This is especially hard on Hoya/Pentax because they are so mired in the mid- range of DSLR sales. They don't have the demand from the professionals who are willing to pay $5000 and up for each new generation.

We Pentaxians who can afford it, do add each new generation to our collection of Leicas and Rollies. We love the technology of the various forms the industry has produced of the past 70 years or so. I know my basement used to have 5 units of industrial shelving filled with cameras and lenses, most f them I only used once if at all. I bought them for less than I knew I could sell them for. Loved them, played with them, admired them, but it after time made no sense to keep them. So I sold off the Hassies, the Rollies, the Zenzas, Mamiyas, Leicas and the minutia of accessories for each "system" that I had accumulated.

Other than a few older Pentaxes, and a half dozen 4x5 and 8x10 field or studio units, and the obligatory drawers full of their boarded or not lenses, I own 3 cameras. A K-7, K10, and a Z-10. I now realize that thinking about a K-5, or K-3, is what the industry wants me to do.

But I feel now that all Pentax is offering me is something to fix some, but not all, of the problems that I paid good money for less than a year ago. Something that they should have fixed under warranty. If the product does not match the advertising hype that preceded the introduction of each generation, make it right. Take the defective unit back and repair of replace it with a body that does it's job as advertised.

When the generations were a decade apart, a product that would pass the test of time was offered for sale. A manual typewriter and the dial telephone were all I needed for 20-25 years. My Spotmatic, some good lenses, and a hand held light meter produced thousands of images from 1965 until 1991, when a robbery replacement of a PZ-1 and some AF lenses tempted me away from what M42 lenses and bodies that remained. Then I got an electric typewriter, which didn't last as long. But I continued to use it for forms that needed filling in. Computers were bad at that task. Soon I was using the computer for many tasks, but had to replace those every 2 - 5 years when the draw of new features and software became too strong.

I don't care about full frame or not. My K-7 has problems that bug me, but I am also on a fixed income that gives me shelter, feeds me and the dogs, and puts just enough gas in my 20 year old car to get me where I need to be. When you nice people on PDML tell me after six months of owning that a new body has solved the AF problems, the frame rate is up to 8 or 9 RAW frames per second, and the camera adjusts it's focus for each individual lens to hit the sweet spot on the sensor, the finder screen, and the LCD all at the same time. And that LCD had better be densely packed with pixels so I can tell it's in focus. If they can correct the optical finder with diopters, why do I have to put my glasses on to see the LCD? Get an algorithm going that corrects the viewed image on the LCD for vision problems! And tilt. And swivel. So I can sell my collection of right angle finders.

I'll be reading and waiting. But my tongue won't be hanging out while I do. I'll be digitizing my photos and my ancestors photos in between trips out to the never-lands in search of the unseen.

\mild rant off/