On 10/5/2010 8:54 AM, Bob W wrote:
in general you'll find things easier if you keep everything in one folder
and use keywords and collections to organise things within LR. This is the
approach I take (LR creates date folders for me as I import, but since I
never look into the photo folder using the OS they might as well not be
there). Some people do use a small number of folders, say 2 or 3, for
large-scale workflow separation and that seems to work ok, but whenever I've
heard of people using many folders it's been because they've got themselves
into a sticky mess and need help getting out of it.

Bob

Right. But the stickiness of the mess may be different from instance to instance. Personally, I organize my stuff in folders in such a way that if tomorrow LR goes banana (or orange, or even tomato), I still will have some notion of what is where. So I have a structure something like:

\Family Album\
        \year
                \year-month
\Travel
        \Tel Aviv
                \year-month-day
        \Jerusalem
                \year-month-day
\International Travel
        \London 2005
        \Norway 2006
        \Belgium 2008
\Unsorted
        \year-month-day <-- from where stuff will get moved accordingly

and so on. Never had any stickiness problems, me... And LR makes folder/file management pretty straightforward as well.

Boris