From: Charles Robinson
On Oct 5, 2010, at 9:20, Jeffery Smith wrote:

I'm getting to be that way as well. I usually drive a car for at
least 100,000 miles before even thinking about getting a new one,
and that is only when keeping the old car running costs the same
as a monthly payment on a new car.

Hell, I usually only buy a car AFTER it has 100,000 miles on it.
Then I drive it until it is no longer drivable.  230,000 so far on
the Subaru Legacy....

I think you get better value looking for something in the 50 - 60K range. That's enough miles for someone else to take the depreciation, but not enough miles for benign neglect of preventive maintenance to adversely affect longevity.

I recently sold at 204,000 miles the Mazda I purchased at 59,000 miles. My current Ford Focus Wagon was purchased at 58,000 miles. I expect it to last until at least 200K if not longer.