On Oct 6, 2010, at 7:31 PM, William Robb wrote:

> From: "Boris Liberman"
> Subject: Re: PESO: Another Dog Picture
>
>> Bill, is it then right that a dog has an intelligence of average two-three
>> years old child then? Asked without any put, intent to offend, etc - really
>> curious.
>>

> Do three year olds stick their noses in disgusting places?
>
> Seriously though, this seems to be the common wisdom, I don't know if it's
> intelligence though, or just the ability to learn things, which dogs are
> actually very good at, though their thinking tends to be much more linear
> than humans.
> My old Rottie (Leica) was regarded among the dog people I hung out with as
> one of the smartest dogs any of them had run into, and I would have put her
> equally as smart as any 3 year old.

When I was a kid, I had a mixed breed terrier/english foxhound/german shepherd.
Her name was Ginger. She was very athletic and could easily leap over our four
foot high back fence, which was handy because she didn't want stay in the yard.
She hung out with all the kids on the block and was involved in games. We had a
fence at the front of the house as well, but she didn't have to leap over it,
because she figured out how to open the gate. She'd put her paws on a lower
board and back up until the gate was open. Then she'd run through it. When I
was in high school, I walked about five blocks to a train station. She would
walk halfway with me, then go home. At four o'clock or so, when I was due to
come home, she would come and  meet me where she had left me in the morning,
right on time and nearly half a mile from home. She also walked my younger
brother to school. She was much smarter than any three year old I've ever
known, and a fabulous dog whom I'll never forget. She had five pups, courtesy
of a black lab who lived down the street. They were very smart as well. I
suspect many of her descendants are out there somewhere, probably walking kids
to school.
Paul