I can see why you'd be pleased with that! I can't imagine even trying to focus on a bird's eye zoomed out that far. I have a 2x teleconverter that I bought specifically for shooting birds, but haven't yet gotten used to using that much reach. After shooting for months with the 50-200 kit lens at a fairly short distance, I found myself WAY overcompensating when I tried to pan. I still haven't tried birding with my 70-300, which I got fairly late in the summer, but I hope to give it a good workout this fall and winter. The birds just seemed to quit coming around the feeders around mid-July this year.

'Course, it was so hot and dry, I don't think they wanted to be out there any more than I did. Had a really brutal summer this year -- about six solid weeks of 95-105 temps, and no rain to speak of from mid-July to late August. I hardly took a shot in that time. :-\