> Joe,
>
> I would be curious to know if you have done this type of backpacking
> in the past and what equipment you have used that has worked well for
> you.  Are there any features of the MZ-S that you were needing/hoping
> to use that your previous equipment didn't have?

Well, to be honest, I'd have to say, no, I've never just dumped cameras
into a backpack before. Other models might also have problems, but I
think the switches on the PZ-1p wouldn't have these particular problems.

I think I'm still jet-lagged and cranky. I did feel rather cross at the
MZ-S's design during the trip - especially the camera's tendency to turn
itself on. I bought these (through my lab, not my own $$) specifically
because of the discussion here about how much more durable they were. I
thought "Great, just what I need for fieldwork in Africa." Now I have to
think up some extra protection for these puppies (photo backback or hard
cases), then figure how to fit that extra protection into my
already-bulging bags

Joe