Thanks for the advice, Paul! I doubt there'll be quite that many photographers at this event. It's a relatively small town that just happens to be the hub of commerce and population center for this part of the state -- and is pretty crucial to getting elected here.

I don't expect I'll get too frustrated. I'll spend a lot of time observing what the other photogs do, if not emulating them. I'm planning on taking an 18-55 and a 70-300 with a 2X TC, and figure I ought to be able to cover quite a bit of ground with all that. I do intend to get as many fun shots as I can -- unusual perspectives and candid moments if at all possible. I don't want to come out of the event with a SD card full of the same-ol'-same-ol'. I'll be shooting RAW, of course, and will burn those to DVD as soon as I get in for the evening. Then, I'll import the whole shebang and commence with the cropping and color adjustments. I figure, after a few days, I ought to be able to put together a nice collection to hand over to the event's organizers so they'll keep me in mind for future events.

Thanks again for your perspective. I'm starting to get a handle on how I think I'll approach things, now.

-- Walt