On Oct 10, 2010, at 3:04 PM, P. J. Alling wrote:

> The 28mm is effectively a normal lens on APS-C,. You'll probably want a wider
> lens, I'd go with 24mm or even 20mm, if I was only carrying one lens.  I'd
> probably carry at least two though.  A 20mm and a short telephoto, maybe
> 50-55mm, or 85-100mm, if you've got one.  My first kit consisted of a 28mm,
> 50mm and 150mm (on 35mm film, it still feels a bit weird to refer to a 50mm
> lens as a short telephoto).

Thanks, P.J. [Or is it "Paul," or some other "P" name?] Someone, I think Boris,
referred to different "styles" -- of subjects, shooting, lenses, etc. I think I
detect two styles, maybe three, in the responses to me request for advice:
short lens, longer lens, and maybe versions of either in which autofocus is
preferred.

I'm listening to everyone, taking it all in, feeling my way. I really, really,
*really* appreciate *everyone's* responses. I don't have a "style," yet. A
reluctance to turn things over to machines whose workings I don't understand
and a preference for keeping them as simple as possible will likely shape the
development of mine.

Sincerely,
Eric Weir
Decatur, GA  USA