On Sun, Oct 10, 2010 at 8:42 AM, Eric Weir <eew...@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> Thanks, Godfrey. I do have a 50 -- a 1.7 M. Hadn't thought about a hood. Only
> ones I've got are built-in on longer lenses.
>
> Going with two small lenses  has strong appeal. [My 50 is smaller than the
> 28, even though it's faster.] ...

A "normal" lens hood, available as a screw-in metal hood in 49mm
thread size for about $7 each, will work for both those lenses. Best
thing you can add to those lenses to protect them and to reduce flare.

While an additional longer lens is also nice to have sometimes, I find
I only infrequently need or want one when I'm doing travel and people.
I've done many trips with just two lenses like this and never ran out
of photo ideas.
--
Godfrey
  godfreydigiorgi.posterous.com