I would skew the talk towards "using" rather than "choosing" a camera...

I taught a class this past summer to a bunch of 8-10 year olds at a
summer camp... except that the kids are much more comfortable with
technology, it's not that different.  If your audience is pretty new
to digital cameras, go through some of the common features you might
find on a basic p & s, like the scene modes, how (why) to turn off the
flash, de-mystify what's in the menus, talk about what megapixels
means (why that isn't the most important feature), give tips for how
to take good pictures in basic situations, composition, how to go
about getting photos out of the camera (local options for printing?),
or show them a little about how to use picasa....

Ken' suggestion about using the sales staff at the local camera store
is a good one -- especially if they offer printing services, they
should be very interested in showing folks exactly how to access
them...

Good luck!
-c