On Oct 13, 2010, at 4:44 PM, Doug Franklin wrote:

> If you've ever actually been to KEH's "offices", you'd know why.  It's not a
> retail location, and it's in a difficult part of town. You're generally
> better off to let USPS, UPS, or FedEx risk their vehicles and lives. :-)

Having done it, I think that may be true. Where it's located is not actually so
unsavory, though. Strikes me as an office park in typical suburban development,
some of it quite new.

Now getting there from my part of town -- right east of downtown Atlanta -- is
another story. It requires driving through an area that's pretty distressed --
northwest Atlanta. Once you get through that, however, before you get to where
KEH is located, it actually seems pretty rural, even though still within
Atlanta city limit.

On the way back I pulled off the road into a former City of Atlanta incinerator
plant. From the road it looked to be not in use, and I thought that structure
in a wooded setting might be something on which to try out the new lens. When I
got onto the property I found that it was being used, just not as an
incinerator. They seem to be hauling in organic material -- leaves, shrubbery
trimmings, tree branches, etc. -- and grinding it up. Probably for mulch in
City parks or maybe they're composting it somewhere. Anyway, here was this big
power plant-like structure, in a wooded setting, with several pieces of heavy
equipment going to work on the stuff they were hauling in. I did get some
shots, but have only viewed them through the CD.

I can actually envision making a photography "project" out of that part of town
and the more difficult stretch I had to drive through. It's a place that the
rest of town doesn't know very well though they have a lot of opinions about
it. There are times of day, and maybe certain neighborhoods, that for sure may
not be that safe, at least for an old white guy like me.

One last thing: I came real close to having a serious accident on the way to
pick up that lens. I won't go into detail, but at one point I was in the left
lane headed straight at an oncoming car, maybe as little as a 100 feet between
us, on a stretch of road that people drive at almost freeway speeds.

Feeling humble and grateful to be alive.

Eric Weir
Decatur, GA  USA
eew...@bellsouth.net