Yes and no... If the sensor had been any good, Pentax would have been way ahead
with a 24x36 digital SLR right from the start.

BUT...

Let's face it, the user interface of the MZ-S isn't nearly as good as that of
the PZ-1, 1p, ist D, K10, etc.  For some reason they had forgotten about the
two-wheel, green-button (IF button on the Z's), HyperProgram system.

Unfortunately, Pentax was =very= slow to recover from the MZ-D debacle, and
when it did the result was the istD--a competent camera, but a placeholder
while waiting for the K series (and =where= did they scrape that name from??).

Rick

http://photo.net/photos/RickW