On Thu, 7 Feb 2002, [iso-8859-1] Frits J. Wüthrich wrote:
> what I have achieved if I remember correct. In the UK I live further away,
> and I don't get anything faster then 28k.

Look, I can shine with more anchient data from my mind!

The reason you can't do above that is because your call is being sent
through more than a single Analogue to Digital Converter. The way that 56K
modems work is by NOT translating the data the same traditional way that
modems have always done so, and by NOT modulating the data, they can
essentially cram twice as much throught the phone line.

Multiple ADCs breaks that, so that you're stuck doing it the traditional
way.

Try different numbers, its possible your call may be routed a different
way that eliminates the offending ADCs.

> is typically not much faster then 56k (64k) unless you combine two channels
> to get 128k. Connection however is a lot faster with ISDN, and the speed is
> more stable.

The big problem with ISDN in the States is that it is metered. Every
minute you're on, you pay (or whatever, it ccomes from a pool, like
celular phones). The work around for this is that you get a "business"
ISDN line, and you never take it out of voice. That is, you use it to get
a solid 56K connection, instead of a 64K connection. By doing that, you
can avoid the metering.

Many are the times I was going to ditch my cable modem and go that route.
I never did. I eventually got tired of the whole sorry mess, and
disconnected everything from my home.

Now the only PC use I've got is at work, which is more than enough for me.

--
http://www.infotainment.org
         "The destructive character is cheerful."  - Walter Benjamin