Did you check your white balance setting?

Popping up the flash changes the WB to the flash setting, so it would look fine.

Turning off the flash reverts the WB to where it was previously set.

So, If for some reason, your WB was off, or Auto WB was giving you
strange results, that would be consistent with what you describe.

gs

George Sinos
gsi...@gmail.com
www.georgesphotos.net