Here is a post I made to another list a while back:

A long time ago, I learned that, if you don't know the answer to a
baseball trivia question, just say "Babe Ruth."  There is a surprising
probability you will be correct.

The longest complete game victory in World Series history was Babe
Ruth's 12 inning pitching masterpiece that gave Boston the victory
over Brooklyn in game 2 of the 1916 World series!

How good a pitcher was Ruth?  His nine shutouts in 1916 set an AL
record for left-handers which would remain unmatched until Ron Guidry
tied it in 1978.  Ruth pitched  29⅔ innings consecutive scoreless
innings in the World Series as a Boston pitcher,  a record that would
last until Whitey Ford broke it in 1961.  He was clearly one of the
best pitchers of all time, but more valuable to the Yankees as a
slugger.

Dan

It is hard to imagine what Ruth could have done with modern training
methods, or even if he just moderated his heavy smoking, eating and
drinking (even in the dugout).  Ruth on steroids?  Incredible Hulk,
move over.