On Tue, 23 Nov 2010 19:31 -0500, "Eric Weir" <eew...@bellsouth.net>
wrote:

> On Nov 23, 2010, at 6:58 PM, Godfrey DiGiorgi wrote:
>
> > A DNG file is indeed a native raw file written to a publicly disclosed
> > standard. There are many advantages to the Digital Negative standard,
> > most of which are small in practical significance at the present time
> > but have a great deal of future value. The primary benefit for the
> > present is that for some native raw file formats, DNG represents a
> > significant savings in disk space as it includes lossless compression
> > of the sensor data. Also, if you are using Adobe tools (Camera Raw or
> > Lightroom) to work with raw files, DNG files can contain additional
> > data such as your processing settings, appended metadata, etc, where
> > native raw files are considered as read-only so this sort of data must
> > be stored elsewhere (usually in file-name matching .XMP files or
> > embedded in the image processing engine's database, etc.).
>
> Thanks again, Godfrey. Very clear.
>
> Given my practically non-existent processing skills, it's probably wise
> for me to stick with jpeg for the moment?

Not really - the processing in most raw converters can be understood
fairly quickly.  Why not try the RAW+JPG mode for a few shots.  That way
you can play around with the raw converter but still have the jpg to
fall back on if you make a complete dog's breakfast of the conversion.

With the two raw formats offered by Pentax, DNG has an advantage over
PEF in that you don't need to wait for your raw converter to add support
for the Pentax proprietary format.  This is why those using the K5 can
start processing their images immediately if they capture in DNG.  It
also means that, if you're using Adobe products you don't get locked
into the upgrade path that is forced on you with the proprietary format
- Adobe doesn't add support for new cameras in its older products (eg,
if I won the lottery and bought a K5, I could process its DNGs in
Photoshop CS3 but the PEFs would be forever unreadable).

Cheers

Brian

Brian Walters
Western Sydney Australia