On Sat, 27 Nov 2010 11:28 -0600, "Nick David Wright"
<pedalsandpr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Got my new scanner in the mail this morning.
>
> I like it very much. Been fooling around, relearning how to scan negs.
> It's been nearly 10 years since I've scanned for myself.
>
> I've made a couple scans at 3200 dpi and the results are good enough
> for me. Those scans net me a JPG file that's 5mb and equates to a
> little more than 8x12 at 300dpi. There is just a hint of softness to
> the scans, but nothing someone would notice unless they're pixel
> peeping.
>
> Then again, seeing how I've been playing with it for less than an hour
> it might be my fault. Does anyone know of any good scanning film
> tutorials on the net?

I don't know how 'good' this is but I came across it some months ago on
a blog I follow occasionally:

http://photo-utopia.blogspot.com/2010/11/scanning-with-epson-v500.html

> I replaced my "Physical Plant" photo on flickr with a scan from the
> new machine. You can see it here:
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/pedalingprose/5105422583/

I'd certainly be happy with that.  I have an elderly Epson Perfection
1650 Photo - I doubt I could get anything remotely as good as that.

> Couple of irks (not really related to the scanner). One, apparently
> since I had the trial version of PS Elements 8 installed on this
> machine at one point, the installer for PSE6 that came with the
> scanner refuses to allow me to install the older version. Does anyone
> know of a way around this (other than wiping the drive and
> reinstalling everything)?

Well that sucks!  It seems as if Adobe is trying to force the upgrade on
you whether you want it or not. The only thing I can suggest is posting
to the Photoshop Elements forum:

http://forums.adobe.com/community/photoshop_elements

Cheers

Brian