On 2010-11-27 10:28 , Nick David Wright wrote:
Then again, seeing how I've been playing with it for less than an hour
it might be my fault. Does anyone know of any good scanning film
tutorials on the net?

i don't know a lot but i've been a bit inspired by this technique article:

<http://benneh.net/blog/index.php/2010/09/25/vuescan-colorperfect-a-guide>

Two most important things to me: 1) I have control over the scan
exposure, no more blown out scans; and 2) the files do not have the
digital noise/compression artifacts I kept seeing on the scans from
labs.

i've had an Epson 4990 for almost three years; i understand it has a lot in common with the V500; it's served me very well, doing its biggest duty in scans to catalog my dad's contact sheets; i tried a few negs when i first got it, and around 2000 i had a Nikon film scanner i used for a while, but need to try again since all my old negs are rotting in a cabinet, and i also want to scan my stepfather's slides from Thule, Greenland in the late 50s ...

i wanted to mention VueScan; it's a very versatile scanning tool, will recognize the Epson by default (no drivers to install) and give you great control over the scanner; i have had free upgrades for over 10 years on my copy

<http://hamrick.com/>

One, apparently
since I had the trial version of PS Elements 8 installed on this
machine at one point, the installer for PSE6 that came with the
scanner refuses to allow me to install the older version. Does anyone
know of a way around this (other than wiping the drive and
reinstalling everything)?

i'd look for an uninstaller in the PSE 8 folder, otherwise google on "pse 8 uninstall" and look particular for hits at adobe.com

Two, iPhoto does not recognize grayscale color profiles. So I have to
scan my b&w negs as color then convert.

iPhoto is pretty limited, it's intended for stuff coming off digital cameras, which is pretty much all RGB ...

Some day soon I'll have to plunk down for a real photo editor.
Actually, I've been playing with a trial version of Aperture the last
couple days and I find I really like it.

as an old prepress/Photoshop jockey, i've found Aperture 3 very much good enough for cataloging and rendering photos; i think Lightroom has the edge in some areas, but there's not enough difference for me to switch; but PSE is in some respects more of a "photo editor" than Aperture or Lightroom (the difference being rendering versus editing), depending on what you meant when you wrote that