2010/11/29 P. J. Alling <webstertwenty...@gmail.com>:

> I haven't been too excited about this, it's the aps-c functional equivalent
> of the 28-200mm a lens that as  a class fails to impress.

true to a point - similar zoom factor but probably easier to build and calculate

> The preview, (I wouldn't call it a review) actually is nicely positive, but
> I question the reviewers judgment when he states,  "...the lenses that most
> closely resembled it were the 17-70mm F4 and the 18-250mm F3.5-6.3, *both of
> which have different uses*."  (Emphasis mine).  Well no not really, at least
> in the case of the 18-250, they are pretty much designed for  the same
> usage, a lens that covers everything you're likely to shoot.

what is so bad about that? I'm trying to make it policy to always
carry a camera plus refconverter and as much as I prefer the 16-50
over the 18-250 the former sometimes lacks on the long end. 18-135 is
still not ideal but it has WR which the 18-250 doesn't and I don't see
my dream zoom on the horizon any time soon.

> Additionally he displays a lack of historical perspective since the 28-200mm
> wasn't a cheap lens when introduced, not only being more expensive, when
> inflation is taken into account, and a larger percentage of the kit's cost,
> when taking into account the difference in price of the cameras it was
> designed for.

true but he shares that deficiency with millions of people who've lost
their grasp of prices =/

> He mentions a nit, the reversed positions of the focus and zoom rings
> vis-à-vis the normal Pentax practice, which I doubt will bother it's target
> audience as they will most likely never own another lens.

I politely disagree - I have four lenses each of Pentax and 3rd
parties and I'm likely to buy it nonetheless - not for another year
though :[ position of rings would be the least obstacle in my book -
the crappy tiny focus ring on the 18-250 didn't stop me either

now Pentax if you could please make that DA* 11-16 reality and follow
up with a DA* or WR 16-80 or17-85 or 20-100 or whatever - heck, I
might even be tempted to extend my always carry policy to a small bag
and a second lens and flash

Ned, are you listening?

Cheers
Ecke