Hmm ... $335 a year.

At the moment, it's a bit beyond my range. I think I'd be better off putting that money toward a car for the time being.

But, now I know what happened to Annie Leibovitz.

-- Walt

On 12/1/2010 9:18 AM, Mark Roberts wrote:
paul stenquist wrote:

On Nov 30, 2010, at 9:46 PM, John Sessoms wrote:

From: paul stenquist

The ASMP is a scam. The dues are $335 a year, for which one gets
basically nothing, other than unrealistic price scales and advice.
Been there, done that.
You may not think it's worth the money, but that doesn't make it a scam.
Most of the working pros I know consider it a scam. I don't think any of the NY
Times photographers are ASMP members.
I agree that its membership is overpriced, but ASMP does some very
worthwhile things. Their copyright education materials, available free
even to non-members, are excellent
(http://asmp.org/content/registration-counts) and their "DP Bestflow"
workflow and archiving initiative - sponsored by the Library of
Congress should be required reading for all pros and anyone who has
any notion of possibly going pro (http://www.dpbestflow.org/) and
that's also free.

But $335 per year for general membership is a bit much. I can't even
justify the $225 annual fee for "Affiliate" membership that I could
get as someone who teaches this stuff.