Thanks for the comments, Rick.  I appreciate the suggestions.

Yes, I an re-size the image on my blog, and I will do so.  I cut and
pasted this image from my photo.net gallery.  Since the maximum
dimension there is 1500 pixels, I routinely size the images to be that
high if portrait or that wide if landscape, to get the best quality.
That size works OK on the blog for landscape, but apparently it is too
large for portrait orientation.

Yes, I can change the background color.  I chose this one years ago.
Now that you point it out, I probably should have used a more neutral
color, and I shall see if I can do that tomorrow when I have more
time.

Thanks for your sage advice.

Dan