John, this is a scan of the negative. And I'm not really blaming the
techs at the lab, they did their best trying to help me get a decent
scan of this image way back when. But like you say, those machines are
not made for manual use.

After I quit my last newspaper job I did a small stint at a Walgreens
one hour lab. I managed to figure out how to do quite a bit of stuff
with their machines, but not nearly enough.

Walter, the issue with WalMart is when you take your negative to them
for printing. The machine automatically makes the adjustments it
thinks will result in the best print. The problem is just that it
assumes most photographers don't know what they are doing.

I have never had an issue with WalMart "correcting" a file I sent them
to print. If I sent them this photo it would print exactly as I have
it toned (assuming the color calibration on my monitor is true).

So in other words, a printer of your own is not absolutely necessary.

--
~Nick David Wright
http://www.nickdavidwright.net/