From: Nick David Wright

Real black and white (i.e. - not the c41 b&w) has the potential to be
sharper than color because of the way it's made.

As to enlargements, I know lots of folks claim that 8x10 is the
largest you can go with 35mm but that's just not true. I've personally
made poster-sized prints from 35mm, and I know some billboards back in
the day were shot with 35mm. It depends on the film used, and the
image itself. I think one problem with small format enlargements is
that folks blow it up huge then look at it inches from their face.
"This looks horrible," they'll say, no kidding.

Now, I don't know if I'd trust the scanner I bought to enlarge 35
bigger than 8x10.

It depends on the scanner resolution. I have a Nikon CoolscanIV ED that does 2900dpi scan resolution. That gives me the equivalent of about an 11Mp camera from a 35mm frame. That's at least as good as the K10D.

If you're getting 4000dpi scans, figure you're closer to a 20Mp camera.

According to Epson, the V500 is capable of 6400x9600dpi (?). I don't know if it will really give you that resolution, but if you get something like 6400x6400dpi that would be equivalent to 54Mp.

I think I'd figure on something between 2400dpi and 4000dpi with the V500.

How large a print you can get depends a lot on the process. I wouldn't try to print anything below 250dpi on an ink-jet printer, so with the file from the CoolscanIV ED, my largest ink-jet print would be 10"x16".

RA4 prints like from a mini-lab are different. You can actually get acceptable images from 150dpi - not super perhaps, but acceptable - that would allow you to go up to 18"x27" from a CoolscanIV ED file.