On Dec 6, 2010, at 1:50 PM, John Sessoms wrote:

> I do know a few good "Ralf" type subject matter in the NC/SC area, but
> Atlanta is a little far out from my normal stompin' grounds.
>
> Take a drive around at night in some of Atlanta's industrial areas. I know
> that kind of stuff is around there, I just don't know many specific locations
> to suggest.
>
> I'd start looking parallel to the I-85N, US-19N, I-75N corridors. See what
> lights up the sky on an overcast night.
>
> There's a really big rail yard NW of downtown in the triangle formed by
> I-285/I-75N/I-20W. I think the area is called Tilford.
>
> NW of the rail yard, there's something that looks like it might be a coal
> fired electrical generating plant.
>
> Plug this into Google Maps: 33.824064,-84.475589
>
> It comes up as 5551 South Cobb Dr SE, Smyrna, GA
>
> Maybe you can find a vantage point where you could set up a tripod and
> capture the fly-overs where I-85 & I-285 intersect on the north side of
> Atlanta. The south side interchange may be good too, but I don't remember. I
> haven't been that way since the late 70s - most always traveled I-85 to I-285
> to I-20W in recent years.
>
> You could probably shoot it from the parking lot at Atlanta Silverbacks Park,
> but you're going to need either an ultra-wide or plan to stitch images
> together to take in the whole scope. Or just concentrate on details in a
> small area.
>
> The area where N Georgia/SW NC/SE Tennessee come together might offer some
> opportunities to photograph paper pulp mills & mine head structures at
> dusk/night-time.

Thanks, John. Good suggestions there for someone who doesn't know the area.
I'll keep em in mind.

I may already have gotten to the thing you say looks like a generating plant,
though not in low light. In any case, back in October, a couple days before I
left for Arizona, I drove up to KEH to pick up the smc m 135/3.5 I'd bought
from them. On the way up I noticed the plant off to the right. I was intrigued
that it looked unused.

On the way back I pulled off Cobb Drive and drove back into the site. Turned
out it was an incinerator that was no longer being used. However, they were
hauling in truck loads of vegetation refuse -- leaves, tree branches, and such
-- and loading it into a grinder. Looked like they were planning to compost the
stuff or use it for mulch.

Anyway, I hung out for a half hour or so trying out the new lens. I've uploaded
the results to my flikr page. They're not all thqt sharp, and one's
under-exposed. [I've done no editing.] Anyway, here they are:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/eeweir/sets/72157625418376629/

I'll put Boris' usual comment when he posts photos a little differently: I'm
open to learning. [Even if a little brutality is required.]

Eric Weir
Decatur, GA  USA
eew...@bellsouth.net