From: "Bob W"

Someone sent me this link - some very powerful pics...

> <http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2010/12/london_tuition_fee_protest.ht
> ml>

good stuff. Nice to see students getting worked up about something for a
change, even if it is a bit selfish. The police seem to have got it wrong
though.

One of those situations where there aren't many "good guys" on either side of the line.

Good cops caught up in a bad situation. When every possible response is wrong, the only thing you can do is try to find the least worst response. I don't know if they were successful.

I think the government's policy regarding education costs are short sighted, and will cost Britain a lot more more in the years ahead than they're ever going to "save" with their cuts and tuition increases.

This applies to U.S. education policies as well.

Education should be as close to free as it's possible to make it, so that as many can take advantage of it as want to.

Education is an investment in the future of the nation. Over the long term everyone benefits from low cost education, whether you are paying tuition yourself or have kids you're going to have to pay tuition for in the future. Investing in creating an educated population has a very high Return on Investment.

But it has to be an investment at the level of the society. It's not something an individual, even the wealthiest individual can afford. Works the other way as well. Disinvestment in education will bring very steep increases in future costs.

Turning education into a profit center the way it's being done in Britain and the U.S. is self defeating.

The pool of educated workers will shrink and there won't be enough of them to grow the economy. The cost of finding educated workers is going to go up sharply, unless you bring low-wage workers trained in third world countries where they understand the difference between the VALUE of education and the COST of education. Those third world, low wage workers are going to bring third world, low wage values along with them. They won't share the cultural values of our societies.

And bringing in those low-wage workers creates another problem of how are you going to deal with your own native population you've displaced from the job market. You force the middle class down into the working class, and displace the working class on to the dole.

It's been done before and it's always had disastrous results.

Bread and circuses will mollify the displaced worker for only so long. Especially since sooner or later some "taxpayer" is going to revolt against the cost of providing bread and circuses.

Meanwhile, the mob grows and grows down in the belly of the beast.

Read Gibbon; read Marx (and what Lenin & Stalin made of his writings); read Mein Kampf ... the French tried it in the 18th century, and you can see where that got them.

"Après Moi" anyone?

Every farmer knows you don't eat your seed. And that's exactly what our current governments are proposing to do.

So there's your choice, invest in education, keeping the cost to the student low, which offers very high future profit ... or don't invest in education, letting the cost rise prohibitively, generating very high future costs.

OTOH, the student's behavior won't garner them much sympathy.