[...]
> I think the government's policy regarding education costs are short
> sighted, and will cost Britain a lot more more in the years ahead than
> they're ever going to "save" with their cuts and tuition increases.
>
> This applies to U.S. education policies as well.
>
> Education should be as close to free as it's possible to make it, so
> that as many can take advantage of it as want to.
>
> Education is an investment in the future of the nation. Over the long
> term everyone benefits from low cost education, whether you are paying
> tuition yourself or have kids you're going to have to pay tuition for
> in
> the future. Investing in creating an educated population has a very
> high
> Return on Investment.
>
> But it has to be an investment at the level of the society. It's not
> something an individual, even the wealthiest individual can afford.
> Works the other way as well. Disinvestment in education will bring very
> steep increases in future costs.

I completely agree. I was lucky enough to be in a generation which was paid
to go into further education. I've more than repaid the costs in the taxes
I've paid by earning more than I would otherwise have done, and so have most
of my family and friends.

[...]
> OTOH, the student's behavior won't garner them much sympathy.

I dunno. When the French students were rioting a few weeks ago because
they'd have to work to 62 (!) there were a lot of people here asking why
ours weren't rioting too. Remember, their parents and grandparents did their
fair share of demos and riots in the 60s and 70s. I get the impression that
a lot of people, even some of the government who were student leaders in
their day, are rather pleased that they're showing a bit of fight.

Bob