On Sun, Dec 12, 2010 at 10:38 PM, steve harley <p...@paper-ape.com> wrote:
> On 2010-12-12 11:02 , Adam Maas wrote:
>>
>> Right now I'd have to prefer Windows for Photo editing work. Better 64
>> bit support (allowing you to make use of more than 3GB of RAM)
>
> what specifically is better? i'm curious, and wondering if it has  to do
> with the fact that Photoshop switched from Carbon to Cocoa as of CS5, or is
> it plugins still at 32 bit? for most people, are photographic images large
> enough that it matters?
>
> (as i understand it Lightroom's been Cocoa, and thus 64-bit since version 2,
> though i can suppose plugins could be a problem there too)

The biggest issues are twofold, first off PS CS5 is rather buggy on OS
X, where it's effectively a 1.0 release (first Cocoa version) while
the Windows version is much more stable (PS has been better on Windows
for the last two releases due to the Carbon/Cocoa switch and related
issues). Secondly you've got the relative lack of 64bit plugins on the
Mac side limiting the utility of CS5 in 64bit form, thirdly you've got
the lack of 64bit support in most non-PS imaging apps on the Mac side
unlike Windows where pretty much everything's been 64-bit capable for
a full release cycle or more.

The problems with 64bit on OS X are: a combination of the Carbon/Cocoa
switch which was forced by Apple killing the announced 64-bit Carbon
support late in the dev cycle which caused the CS4 release cycle to
stay 32bit on OS X, serious bugs with Photoshop CS5 related to the
switch (CS5 on Windows is simply more stable than the Mac version),
the fact that many plugins which are 64bit capable in Windows aren't
in their Mac versions as their release cycles haven't caught up to
CS5, the fact that CS5 has even more issues in 32 bit mode on OS X
than it does in 32 bit mode (max memory limitations which CS3 and CS4
lack and you have to use the 32bit version of CS5 to use 32bit
plugins) and the simple fact that 64 bit support is much more mature
on the Windows side (where it's been functionally mature since Vista
was released) than the Mac side (where Snow Leopard is the first fully
64bit version of OS X) which means that there's a solid library of
64bit capable apps and drivers in Windows which OS X lacks. OS X is
well ahead of where Vista was in terms of 64 bit support at the same
point in the release cycle thanks to the partial 64 bit support in
Leopard but it lags where Windows is now.

LR does have less issues because it's been on Cocoa for longer than PS.

Note I expect that these issues will go away with the next release
cycle for PS and OS X, but they do exist today.

-- Adam