> On a bridge across the Seine in Paris.
>
> Doesn't every city have street lights like this?
>
> http://photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=12094375

some people think it's at the expense of a certain dynamism and place in the
world. We had a discussion in class the other day about it. Most of my
classmates are of a certain age and position in society and, like me, love
Paris for its elegance, old world charm etc. The chap who has a flat there
and who recommended the restaurant where we had lunch was making the point
about quality of life quite strongly (ie France vs Britain, and specifically
Paris vs London). But the teacher, who is a French woman in her 30s I'd say,
pointed out that London is now France's 7th city* and that young French
people find it a very liberating place to live because France feels
hide-bound and restrictive. Paris - at least the centre, the arrondissments
- risks becoming a museum.

*Our class this week was the last of this term so we decided to turn it into
a big French picnic by bringing in food and wine. When I was shopping for my
contribution at lunchtime, in every place I went to buy the stuff there were
only French people and this was in the City, not South Kensington which has
been the 21st Arr. as long as I can remember.

< http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/25/style/25iht-afrench.1.9495133.html?_r=1

Bob