On Dec 22, 2010, at 5:02 AM, Darren Addy wrote:

> I can certainly comment on Magento Community Edition. I was seduced by
> its beauty and bought a commercial template for it. The site is indeed
> running and working, but it is an absolute nightmare to maintain. I
> can't upgrade to the latest version because there were substantial
> changes made in the way the templates work. v1.3 templates need major
> changes to work with v1.4. If you are looking for something NOT
> time-intensive then stay away from Magento.

I tried to install Magento once.  It's a heavy beast and we couldn't get it
working on our server.  I know someone who does installs of it on Amazon EC2
servers.

> I recommended PrestaShop because it is the closest to Magento as far
> as good looks is concerned and reputedly easier to use. I'll let you
> know after I set up a specialty bookstore for my wife with it.
> : )

I've heard of Prestashop and I've been wanting to try it out because it looks
pretty good.  We're gravitating more to Wordpress at work so we've been trying
out Shopp Plugin which seems to be quite good for small sites.  The code seems
pretty tidy, too.

Cheers,
Dave