From: Jack Davis

It's my understanding (in some cases I know to be correct) that in
USA civil cases, court costs and attorney's fees are included in the
award. How common this is, is not known to me.

Jack

I believe that applies to some cases brought in federal courts. May also apply in some state courts, but not necessarily in all of them.

The guy I knew never got to court. Case was never heard on the merits, which favored him.

Gateway2000 got a judge to issue an injunction barring him from using his own domain while the case was under litigation.

He was bankrupted before he ever got a hearing.