On 2010-12-26 19:59 , John Sessoms wrote:
I mentioned that when I got home from my trip I found several emails in
my inbox indicating that my "Gawker account" was compromised. Funny
thing about it was I didn't even know I had a "Gawker account".

Gawker runs numerous websites; examples are Gizmodo & Lifehacker -- those are the two where i had signed up at some point to leave a comment or something; all the email addresses and passwords at all Gawker's sites were stolen; if had such an account and you used the same password somewhere else, someone may try too log in as you; they will try the easy guesses (Facebook, Twitter, Google) and/or the sites where there is something to gain (Paypal, banking sites)

instead of changing all your passwords to one something else, i'd use this opportunity to set up a different password at every site; the tool i use is 1Password, but there are many others to choose from; since i have used tools like this for years, i don't really care that my Gizmodo and Lifehacker passwords were stolen -- they can't use that info to get into any other site