Hey Larry,

Hmmmm, see, for me, I almost ALWAYS shoot as wide open as possible with
portraits, without sacrificing quality, depending upon which lens I am
using.  I frequently shoot my FA 50mm/1.7 (my favourite lens!) on about
f2.8-3.5 for portraits (any wider and it is a little soft).  I like to use
DOF creatively, and never move my focus point from anything but the centre,
choosing to use focus lock to do this, rather than AF points.  I always
shoot IN focus, especially the eyes.  Any softening that I wish to do, I do
it after the fact in PS to avoid any of those focus "misfires".  It really
sucks when you think you have "the" shot, only to find that it is out of
focus after the fact.  You can always soften skin, but you can't recreate
lost focus.

I LOVE really sharp, deep textured portraiture.  I also LOVE smooth, creamy
skin, but usually in babies/kids.  The old days of "soft", glamour type
focus are so passé and make images look so dated, I have rarely seen it used
in portraiture or commercially these days, and never to good effect anyways.
Using the Patch tool or the Spot Healing Brush tool will give you much more
natural results in PS and allow you to be more selective than an over all,
soft focus or blur effect anyways.

I say, hit that focus, and play with it afterwards if you choose to.
Looking at your first set (4 years ago), these look to me to be out of focus
(this could also be the low resolution), but the new set, have great depth,
texture and character, primarily due to the tack sharp focus.  But, to be
honest, I'm not loving the hair tossing thing.  That is totally just a
personal preference though.

HTH!

Tan. :)