It's not just the cost to the consumer, it is the cost to do business.
When most of the labs/minilabs give up on film, then we might see a
landslide changeover - which in turn will cause the manufacturers
(films, equipment, chemistry, etc) to re-evaluate the cost of doing
business on their part and so on...

Bruce Dayton