At 12:51 PM 2/13/2002 -0500, Collin wrote:

A few good analogies.

<snip>

>Film users are not dinosaurs; not yet.
>In the next 5 years, though, "film photographer" will be mention in the
>same sentence as "Cobol programmer".  "You can do that?  Oh, that's nice."

This is a bad analogy.  COBOL programmers are much in demand in certain
sectors.  Yes, very little really new code
is written in COBOL however most large financial systems are written in
COBOL.  They are very expensive
to replace and continue to undergo maintance, new releases are regularly
made available.  Even if you don't actually
program in COBOL some knowledge of it is often necessary when dealing with
these institutions.

If film goes the way of COBOL then it will always be with us.  (At least as
long as technical civilization lasts).