On Dec 27, 2010, at 5:31 PM, Charles Robinson wrote:

> On Dec 24, 2010, at 11:39, Eric Weir wrote:
>
>> On Dec 24, 2010, at 12:36 PM, Christine Aguila wrote:
>>
>>> No, when you are done processing your RAW image, everything is
>>> automatically saved.  There's no save button to click.  But also remember
>>> that with Lightroom, if you come back to a RAW image, and don't like what
>>> you've done, just click the reset button and it will go back to the
>>> original RAW image. You can do this as many times as you want.
>>
>> Thanks, Christine. Good news -- on both counts.
>
> You can also make a "virtual copy" (or MULTIPLE virtual copies) of a
> particularly-tricky image, and then go about it with any number of different
> methods on each copy.
>
> I do this when I want to edit some square-cropped images to put on my phone.
> Or if I want to experiment with a B&W copy of a particular image.
>
> For quick 'n' dirty "let's see what the automatic settings do" editing, on
> the Mac it's CMD-U to set the brightness levels automatically, and
> CMD-SHIFT-U to set the "tone".
>
> I find the auto settings tend to do a few things other than what I prefer:
> the black level gets set too dark for too much of the image, and the tone
> tends to get set colder than what I like.  BUT - if you have NO idea where to
> start with an image, sometimes you can get a little closer to where you want
> to be with the auto settings.

Thanks, Charles. That's what I was looking for. Didn't know about either.

That said, I'm bogged down in a stupid little writing project -- it's not
actually stupid -- that shoulda been done weeks ago and is keeping my from my
photo editing experiments. What kind of photographer is that?

Eric Weir
Decatur, GA  USA
eew...@bellsouth.net