From: Cotty

On 29/12/10, Mat Maessen, discombobulated, unleashed:

>Just don't try to find a set of rear tires for it in rural North
>Carolina... :-)
Found a youtube link for the first 10  mins which shows them on GFM...

<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rF8pPHhUosc&feature=related>

From 2 minutes in...

They do seem to get a remarkable number of things wrong or misrepresented.

They start talking about the "Blue Ridge Parkway in Virginia", but the entire Blue Ridge Parkway segment is in North Carolina. They don't get the whole idea of the Blue Ridge Parkway ... it's a PARK-way.

It's not about how fast you can blast down the road, it's about a leisurely drive to see some of the country's most beautiful scenery. If you're in a hurry, take the f****n' Interstate. That's what it's there for.

They call northwestern North Carolina (Daniel Boone country) "Squeal like a pig" territory. Wrong geographic reference.

"Squeal lika a pig" is from the movie Deliverance, set along the fictional "Cahulawassee River" in Georgia. The "Cahulawassee" is based in part on the Chattooga River that forms the border between South Carolina and Georgia and partly on the Chattahoochee river that flows from the Blue Ridge Mountains of northern Georgia through suburban Atlanta before joining with the Flint River near the Georgia/Florida border to become the Apalachicola. They're about 200 miles too far north.

There is no Interstate Highway between Grandfather Mountain and Wilkesboro, NC. It's US 421 all the way from where you exit the Parkway just east of Boone. The Interstate footage interspersed with the US 421 footage appears to be from I-81 in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia. It's a long detour to get onto any interstate between the Parkway at GFM and Wilkesboro, NC.

I don't know where they found that steel truss bridge, but it ain't in North Carolina, and it's not on I-81 in Virginia either. I've driven I-81 several times all the way from its origin at exit 421 off of I-40 in eastern Tennessee to Harrisburg, PA, and that bridge ain't on I-81 anywhere south of Harrisburg.

The quickest way from the Wilkesboro Speedway north is to take US 421 east to I-77 north to I-81 north. You could save about 10 miles if you know to take NC 268, but you won't save any time, because it's 35-55 mph on NC 268 and 55-65 mph on US 421/I-77. NC 268 only makes sense if you have to make service calls in Elkin, NC as I did when it was part of my service territory back when I worked for the alarm company.

What took me up I-81 so often was having to cover for the techs in adjacent territories, so they'd cover for me when I was off being all I could be.

Wilkesboro Speedway is not the birthplace of NASCAR. It's one of the early tracks, possibly the first paved oval (IDK), but NASCAR was born in Daytona Beach, FL. and the first race was at Charlotte Speedway (defunct) and the third was at Occoneechee Speedway (also defunct) in Hillsborough, NC, which were the first two dedicated NASCAR tracks.

The Daytona Beach Road Course used for the second race of the first season was not a NASCAR track. The NASCAR track at Daytona International Speedway didn't open until 1959 - 10 years after the founding of NASCAR.

Wilkesboro was the last race of that first 1949 NASCAR season.