On Dec 30, 2010, at 10:08 , paul stenquist wrote:

> This Chicago street photographer's work was discovered in a storage locker
> after she died. Looks like she shot with a Rollei TLR in the 1950s. Baksed on
>  what is shown here, her work appears to be outstanding.
> http://www.vivianmaier.blogspot.com/

Yes. Wow! This woman had an eye for composition, a quick shutter finger as well
to catch all the many faces with (mostly) great character in a fleeting
glimpse. This is big. I certainly hope in the end her work will make it's way
to the LOC, to be properly preserved in relative perpetuity.

An interesting side note is that the work of an artist with whom I had crossed
paths and verbal swords, and who was the brother of the lover of my first
wife's sister (got that?) had a great deal of his life's work 'discovered' in a
storage locker in New Orleans as the floodwaters rose. He and everyone else
mentioned so far is dead, except my first wife. And me.

Over 1400 works consisting of paintings of all sizes, drawings, books of
sketches, and some photographs were recovered and safely stored away for a few
years until another relative (nephew) of the family stepped in and has
organized the work, found provenance of much of it with help from family
members, New Orleans musicians, drunks, other artists, including me. There are
even a couple of portraits of me from 1969, alone and with my wife, her
parents, and the 'crowd' we hung with in San Francisco 1969.

His name is Noel Rockmore. His bio and art can be found at
http://www.rockmore.org/

I have some Ektachrome 120 transparencies of his work that I am trying to find
to add to the works. The portraits that I am in or are of me are being held
back until I find the images I have of Noel and his work that we will trade. I
can't afford the smallest one, as they want $1200 for it.

At the request of the woman who lays claim to the work (she held the key to the
storage facility) the work is being sold at auctions, to museums, and on eBay
from time to time.

Joseph McAllister
pentax...@mac.com

“ Nature is considerably more creative and inventive than humankind. Without
Nature there isn't any humankind. Without humankind, Nature is fine.”