Malcolm,
I share some of your feelings on digital photos devaluing the process.
Shooting my final roll of Kodachrome re-enforced the feeling.
But you can change that next year.
One Sunday morning, Mark Cassino (snowflakes) came to Chicago and
shot with Mark Roberts and me.  We used similar cameras and lenses,
but Mark's shots looked so much better because of the care he took.
I learned that digital lets you take lots of shots, but doesn't make good
photography any easier, or quicker.
Regards,  Bob S.