Shel,

> I don't see another drawer for the red, light-blocking filter.

I've heard other people say this too, but mine has one immediately above
the lens.  It takes the thick deep red filter that blocks all light that
paper is sensitive to, so that you can leave the enlarger light on while
the paper is there.  I'm not sure why, maybe to focus or control
exposure with the filter drawer if you don't have a timer, or practice
dodging and burning or something?

> Your info on the contrast produced by the Kodak and Ilford
> filters is interesting.  maybe getting a set of each would be
> a good idea, but I'll probably start with just one set.
>
> Have you noticed any quality differences between the Kodak
> and the Ilford filters?  Are there other brands to consider?

There are other brands, but I have not used them so I don't know what
they are like.  I would start with the Kodak filters if I were doing it
from scratch again.  I've used papers by Ilford, Agfa, Kodak, and
Oriental, and for the way I develop my negatives, they all seem to give
pretty consistent grade variations with the Kodak filters whereas the
Ilford filters seem a little more "jumpy" from grade to grade for some
reason.

Thanks,
Ed
http://lightandsilver.com