On 2011-01-01 16:26 , David J Brooks wrote:
On Sat, Jan 1, 2011 at 6:02 PM, paul stenquist<pnstenqu...@comcast.net>  wrote:

Then you can't write for the NY Times -- or most other publishers. All of whom
want Word docs. Although I suppose there's a way of faking a word doc with
other software. Hardly seems worth the trouble to me, though.
Paul

I have text wrangler on the iBook, and use it for my html. I have
tried doing documents in Appleworks and save them as word doc's but no
one has had success opening them. thus office.mac.

AppleWorks is long-discontinued; Apple's Pages (part of iWork, which is a "simple" office suite) can create Word documents, as can the free OpenOffice, and even TextEdit (built into Mac OS X); and the online Google Docs can handle Word; each can open most Word documents too; this is ignoring an even larger collection of tools that can produce RTF; there are definitely features missing from each (though OpenOffice is pretty complete) and a few compatibility issues; i have Office 2004, but only launched Word once or twice in 2010