On Jan 1, 2011, at 7:48 PM, Godfrey DiGiorgi wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 1, 2011 at 4:32 PM, paul stenquist <pnstenqu...@comcast.net>
> wrote:
>
>> Seriously, I just don't want to fool around. I also have to use .docx files
>> -- sometimes converting them. I'm sure there's a workaround, but why bother.
>> Word is cheap, and it works well fro the most part.
>
> I don't want to fool around either. I want to work with an application
> suite that does what I need quickly, efficiently, and without
> problems. That's different from supplying deliverables for a customer
> to use ... eg: I work with raw files from several different cameras,
> my photo clients want TIFF or JPEG files. How I create the
> deliverables is irrelevant to them. Same goes for making Word files.
>
> BTW: What value is there in ".docx" files vs .doc files? or even vs
> .rtf files? I've never seen one. I'd be curious to know. Pages '09
> reads .DOCX files too, how they differ from .DOC files and what
> advantage they pose seems invisible.

I don't know what advantage they offer -- and I don't care. But as a journalist
and editor,  I encounter them frequently, and I have to deal with them. Word
makes that easy. Do I like Word? Hell no. My WP of choice way back when was
Write Now, before that Quark Word Juggler. But I work with whatever is on my
desk. Sometimes I have to turn something around in 30 minutes. No time for
anti-microsoft bullshit. I'll leave the moral battles to those who have time
for them.
Paul