This is well beyond a ding. The thread is seriously mangled. I sent the lens off for repair mostly thinking I'd be trading it for parts and a reduced cost on the repair of my A*300 f4.0. I was seriously amazed that it was repairable and that it works as smoothly as it does now. In fact I have straightened some somewhat dinged filter threads using a length of 2x4 with a half circle cut out for support and a small hardwood dowel, (poplar I think), tapped firmly with a smallish hammer. Works fine on solidly built lenses. Probably unwise on even as well made a lens as a FA limited.

On 1/4/2011 5:37 PM, John Sessoms wrote:
From: "P. J. Alling"

I'm looking for a lens hood for my A 24mm f2.8  The filter ring is
seriously damaged, (interesting subject for a Macro, maybe I'll get
around to it), nothing will screw onto the it.

Besides,  I don't have to worry about dropping it I already have.

Seems like years ago there were tools available for straightening dents & dings in the filter threads on manual focus lenses. I carelessly put a flat spot onto one of my lenses & the local repair guy I took it to was able to make it round again.

Of course, one of the reasons for keeping skylight or UV filters on those lenses was so that if you did drop one, the filter would take the brunt, reducing damage to the filter threads.

Also hopefully protecting the glass from damage.

--
Where's the Kaboom?  There was supposed to be an Earth-shattering Kaboom!

        --Marvin the Martian.