On 5/1/11, Miserere, discombobulated, unleashed:

>True, but it might be better. I'll reserve judgment until I've
>actually used the X100, as I still don't know how one confirms manual
>focus, but so far it looks like this system improves upon the old
>fashioned rangefinder method. [ducks for cover]

I'm thinking that I might agree - when I had my R-D1 (which was my first
foray with a rangefinder) I had a fair few shots on longer focal lengths
that were soft. These tended to be grabs - eg almost no time to focus
properly. When using the wide, had no problems as I zone focussed so
once set, never touched the focus ring. The rangefinder was fine and I
had a diopter correction lens on the eyepiece so I could use it without
my glasses, so I was fine actually using the mechanism to focus - it's
just that it didn't necessarily suit my style of holding the camera away
from my face while looking at my subject, and only bringing it up to my
face at the last second to then get the shot. Remember the R-D1 uses a
lever to prime the shutter for the next shot, so rapid-fire (in the
modern electronic sense) is out of the question. I found the R-D1 was
very close to my ideal camera.....but not quite.

I've done the thing with big camera systems and lots of lenses, and it
was fun, and I got some lovely shots, but I kind of want something much
simpler. Like one camera and one lens. It's looking like the X100 (what
a crap name! oh how i wish Pentax had the balls to build this....) is
going to be the closest thing I might get to my ideal still camera that
suits my style and what I want out of photography. That, and looking at
Bob's and Juan's and Miserere's and Annsans' and Frank's pictures (to
name but a few and in no particular order) for inspiration of the kind
of thing I would like to be doing.

I have to say that having seen the K-7, if I was going to get back into
SLR photography, I think I would opt for the Pentax, as it has a quality
feel to it and obviously produces great images. But if you give me the
option to change a lens, then I will, and then I go broke! If you give
me a camera with a lens glued to it, then I have no choice, and have to
work within the confines of the gear - I can hear Godders screaming in
my ear now how that's nuts. Surely the photographer should have creative
freedom and be able to use the tool he/she needs for the job. But I'm
wanting to come from the other direction - give me one tool and then I
will work within its abilities to see what I can do.

Must be something to do with age :)

PS sorry for the subject - it was a simple slip of the finger on the keyboard.

--

Cheers,
  Cotty

___/\__