There is a certain beauty to ultra-high resolution images. But you're basically
right. And you don't need that kind of resolution for magazine spreads either.
Most pubs don't want any tiffs larger than about 35 megabytes, even for
spreads. There's no real advantage to higher resolution in offset printing. In
making large ink-jet prints, I've found that even a 6 megapixel camera like the
*istD can turn out beautiful 13 x 19s. The K-5s 16.4 megapixel files are
wonderfully detailed at 20 x 30. Billboard photography is where cameras of over
20 megapixels really shine, but I don't shoot billboards. Nevertheless, I want
a 645D:-).
Paul