But that's just the point of the K mount and the 624 mount cameras. They play to an existing user base with a boat load, (relatively speaking in the case of the 645D), of used lenses available. A bigger camera, (and in the case of the 645D I don't think it's any bigger really) is not so much of a problem in when you're working with an installed user base, with all of those yummy legacy lenses. The Auto 110 had what 5 primes, 2 zooms and 1 third party teleconverter. If it goes with the m4:3 standard then the those lenses won't work without an adapter anyway, if they use their own standard, I bet the lenses would cover APS-C, given it's high ISO noise advantage why not just go with an APS-C camera body...

Hey wait a moment. Doesn't Pentax already have a camera system using an APS-C sensor and a legacy lens mount?

On 1/15/2011 8:06 AM, John Sessoms wrote:
They could do a new Auto110D and give it the same treatment they had to use on the *ist-D. It looks like the old Auto110. It evokes the feel of the old Auto110. It can use the old Auto110 lenses, but it's just a little bit bigger so they can cram the necessary electronics in there.

That's all just engineering. Having stated the problem is half-way to solving it.

The real question is whether there's a market for it? If Pentax could see the kind of market demand the 645D is generating, the Auto110D would be a viable product.

It's a clever idea, but is it a clever enough idea for Pentax to be able to make money out of it? I don't think it is, but I won't mind if I'm proved wrong again. I'd like to have one myself.

From: "P. J. Alling"
No they can't. Look at a *ist-D compared to an MX or even a MZ
series camera, notice how thick the body is front to back, there's
a lot space required for the sensor and electronics that a roll of
film doesn't need. There wouldn't be room in a classic Auto 110
body. Nor is there any space for the battery, you'd need to have
the /motor/ /drive/ mounted at all times.

On 1/11/2011 8:08 PM, David Parsons wrote:
> They could just put a 4/3s sensor in a 110 body.  Then they rerelease
> the lenses with new coatings.
>
> On Tuesday, January 11, 2011, Dario Bonazza<dario.bona...@virgilio.it> wrote:
>> A Pentax mirrorless camera system based on a 4/3 sensor would make sense, being it >>different enough from their SLR line and not as silly as the I10. A
clever move indeed.
>> Naah... too clever for Pentax, I don't believe it's going to happen. >> After all, just read all those other silly K-rumors, none of which happened.
>>
>> Dario

-----
No virus found in this message.

Where's the Kaboom?  There was supposed to be an Earth-shattering Kaboom!

        --Marvin the Martian.