Hey John, you just made my day - well thought through and well put too. I don't have FB acct either - no need nor desire.

On 1/14/2011 10:09 PM, John Sessoms wrote:
Yeah, you're right. I'm not really anti-social media. I have Flickr &
YouTube and this mailing list. PDML is "social media" as far as I'm
concerned, and it's the "social media" I chose for myself.

What bothered me:
1. Facebook itself - I don't want it. I'm fine with anyone else who
wants to use it. But, I resent it when I'm told that I'm some kind of
defective because I don't have a Facebook account.

I don't try to keep anyone else from using Facebook. Let them do what
they want to do. So why should anyone else try to force me to use
Facebook if I don't want it.

Why can't I be allowed to do what I want to do?

2. More bothersome to me is that they weren't about using Facebook
because of the value of having relationships, but for how easily it
could be manipulated to use people.

It's a marketing strategy based on deception. The presentations were all
about side-stepping Facebook's minimal controls so you could use your
"friends" pages to SPAM all of their "friends". The value of a Facebook
"friend" is all calculated in how many dollars can be extracted from them.

And remember, what we're really talking about here is high school kids;
how to separate them from their money. It's not about providing value or
service, it's about scamming 'em out of their lunch money.

3: The amount of time you actually have to spend SPAMMING with Facebook
to stay competitive - 24/7/365. Never did get an answer to my question:
When does that leave time to actually be a photographer?

As I've said before, I already spend too much unproductive time on the
computer with PDML - time I should be out taking photographs of
*something*. But PDML is something I value; something I want for itself;
something that I'm willing to give up some of my productive time because
of what I get in return.

But PDML can't be valued with a dollar sign. According to these experts,
I can't *USE* PDML for personal monetary gain, so I shouldn't be here at
all. I should be over on Facebook squeezing every dime I can out of its
users.

That's a sociopathic value system that I just have to refuse.

I can't take every aspect of my life and value it only according to how
much money I can squeeze out of it. If for no other reason than that
eliminates all the fun stuff and leaves only the drudgery.

And sooner or later, I have to look at myself in the mirror, and I want
to be able to respect the man I see there.

Just writing this has given me additional insight into why this stuff
bothered me so much. How many dollars is that worth? How do you place a
monetary value on self knowledge? ... on self respect?

-----
No virus found in this message.