DagT
http://www.thrane.name

Den 19. jan. 2011 kl. 21.07 skrev John Sessoms:

> From: Ann Sanfedele

>> I like Dags photo a lot... but I sure disagree with your  last line
>> here....   unless the preceding  thought is just a couple of seconds.
>> I think the best photographs ( read: what I like best and the ones to
>> which I most aspire)  are most often those where the photographer
>> "sees something and shoots something"  capturing a fleeting moment , a
>> certain slant of light.  Too much planning and plotting can result in a
>> technical tour de force but with no heart.
>>
>> ann
>
> It can, but it doesn't have to.
>
> How much planning and plotting is too much? Should the photographer never
> make any image that he/she has thought about in advance? Can those images
> never have "heart"?
>
> The way I read Dag's explanation, he had an idea; he had "been looking at
> this kind of reflections before".
>
> He didn't set out on a journey to intentionally create a specific image from
> that idea and nothing else. He was traveling with his son when he saw
> something that reminded him of his idea that inspired him to create *this*
> image.
>
> I think if the idea that precedes the image is heart felt, the image itself
> will be heart felt as well. Technical excellence in bringing the idea to
> fruition does not preclude an image with "heart".
>
> I say those photos where the idea precedes the image are "the best" because
> the advance thought gives you a better chance of recognizing when you have
> found a moment with "heart". And that means you're better prepared to capture
> that moment if/when it ever arrives.
>
> Shall we agree to disagree?

Actually, I´m not sure if you really disagree, but you are right John.  :-)

I think we all have seen photographs or images we like and would love to copy,
or at least make something similar. Some times you suddenly recognize it and
take that picture, something similar to the picture you remember.

At least, that is how it often works for me. I´ve got lots of latent images in
my head and sometimes I see a situation that fit to one of them.  I never
arrange the situation myself, partially because I´m lazy and partially because
I like the surprises that sometimes add something good to the picture.  You
could say I am preparing for unplanned pictures :-)

DagT